The top 10 stories and events that helped shape Simple Hydration in 2013.
In July Simple Hydration sponsored the teams of Harvey Lewis and Lain Hughes at the 2013 Badwater Ultramarathon. Harvey finished in 4th place overall while Lain finished in 41st place.
Alanna Wong and Justin Collins were the big winners in our first ever #RunSimple Photo Contest on Facebook. Both winners received cool stuff such as HOKA ONE ONE Shoes, HVLO Sport Headphones, 1BandID ID Tag, Mizuno Visor + 4 Paris of Mizuno Socks, Chica Bands Headbands, Yankz! Eco SureLace System and a 4-Pack of Simple Hydration Water Bottles.
The Simple Hydration Bottle is featured in a new book on design titled “Design Currency,” by Jenn and Ken Visocky O’Grady. Founder Brian Hock, along with the Simple Hydration Bottle, are highlighted under the section on design entrepreneurship.
In November the Simple Hydration Bottle made an appearance on NHK Japanese TV. Tajima Rika, 2012 Japan Orienteering Long-Distance Champion, demonstrated how she uses the bottle and explained why she loves it. The Simple Hydration Bottle has spread throughout Japan and is available at most running stores.
In February we announced the Simple Hydration Ultra Elite Racing Team. Team runners were Catra Corbett, Michael Ambrose, Sandi Nypaver and Damian Nathaniel. The year started off strong with Catra Corbett winning the Razorback 100 overall followed by wins later in the season by Sandi Nypaver and Mike Ambrose. Late in the year Catra Corbett completed her 100th 100 Mile race at Run D’ Amore 100 in 26:44.
The Simple Hydration Bottle appeared in the March 2013 Issue of Women’s Running Magazine under “Coach Jenny’s Favorite Things.”
2013 has been a breakout year as far as top runners and triathletes using the bottle to help them achieve their goals.
- In August top ultra runners Hal Koerner and Mike Wolfe set the Fastest Known Time (FKT) on the John Muir Trail. Hal Koerner used a Simple Hydration Bottle in their record-setting time of 3 days, 9 hours and 5 minutes.
- Simple Hydration fan (and 2014 Simple Hydration Ultra Team Member) Brian Donnelly set the New Oregon Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) Speed Record on August 17th. He established a new self-supported speed record on the PCT for the state of Oregon in a time of 7 days, 22 hours, 37 minutes.
- Ultra runner and 2-time New Zealand Olympian Mike Aish finished 3rd overall using a Simple Hydration Bottle at the 2013 Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run.
- Elite US Marathoner Patrick Rizzo is a fan of the Simple Hydration Water Bottle.
- On June 12, 2013 English runner Saul Taylor completed the Bob Graham 24-Hour Challenge around part of the Lake District in England. Saul used 2 Simple Hydration Bottles to help him complete the grueling effort.
- Top professional French triathlete Alexandra Louison used the Simple Hydration Bottle throughout 2013 and had some nice race wins.
- Top ultra runner Anton Krupicka used a Simple Hydration Bottle in his Nolan’s 14 record attempt as well as at the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc (UTMB) in France this year.
- Top ultra runner Mike Morton is a fan of the Simple Hydration Water Bottle.
- In December ultra runner Mike Wolfe used the Simple Hydration Bottle in the 2013 running of The North Face Endurance Challenge 50 Mile Championships in San Francisco, California. Mike finished in 6th place at the event.
Simple Hydration continued to grow and expand around the world. The Simple Hydration Bottle is now available in following countries: Greece, Guatemala, Australia, Thailand, China and Indonesia.
The Simple Hydration Bottle received a great review from Trail Run Magazine out of Australia in April of this year. Garry Dagg, Minimalist Editor, stated in the review: “Is it too early in the year to start calling something product of the year? I don’t think so.” This extremely positive review really helped push the Simple Hydration Bottle off to a great start in 2013.
And now #1…
The Simple Hydration Bottle in Runner’s World Magazine! Our bottle was featured in the “Get your Kicks” article on page 20 of the January 2014 Issue of Runner’s World Magazine, which hit the market in December 2013. We had to put our coverage in Runner’s World as the #1 item for 2013 because of its incredible reach to runners worldwide. It’s taken over 2 years since we launched the Simple Hydration Bottle but we are glad to finally be included in the magazine.
Thanks to all of our awesome customers for which none of this would be possible. We truly appreciate your support. And if you’re one of those runners just finding out about the Simple Hydration Bottle maybe this list will encourage you to give it a try in 2014.
Let’s have a great 2014! Run simple.